Thursday, March 7, 2013

Women's Day - Do I need this day ?


This year's theme for International Women's Day, “A promise is a promise: Time for action to end violence against women” With Women’s day around – like every year suddenly there is increase in women centric news, and lot of focus on women rights,security and liberties, and like every year after March 8th celebration it will cool off.  I have never been a big supporter of Women’s Day concept. For me though I accept that discrimination exists and I cannot claim to have same rights and opportunities as of men but in my day to day life I never feel lesser than a man. And I would want to be gauged for my abilities as an individual  and will expect from others not to have preconceived notions or assumptions  based on my gender/religion/region  …..…. sometimes I feel by celebrating this day we are emphasizing that women are weak and need special care , and am not sure how this day helps empowering women , but if this day has gained so much of relevance and importance , I hope some change is happening some where    -- 

No comments:

Post a Comment