Friday, September 6, 2013

Driven by Driving License


‘Congratulation ! I am proud of you ‘  That was Anil congratulating me while I made ‘Sulaimani – Black tea with mint’ after coming from RTO Trivandrum ! I quizzically looked at him – He then patted on my back and said ‘Now you know how a government office looks like and how to get your work done ‘ :)

The occasion was I submitting form for Change of address and issue of duplicate license at Trivandrum RTO. And if you are wondering whats the big deal – then let me explain the process – I got my driving license in the year 1997 – that time the License was issued from my Home town ‘Irinjalakuda’ (Yea I know the name sounds weird J) the format of the License was A4 size paper which I had kept very carefully all these years. The new rule is that everybody should have the card format License and people with Old License should get the License in new format – So you have to submit an application at RTO – the catch is you have to submit the application at same RTO from where the license was issued . That would mean that I will have to go to Irnijalakuda which is atleast 6-8 hrs 1 way journey (by Rail/road thanks to the great infrastructure we have in Kerala where govt feels 30mts width is enough for NH) .


Now that we are residing in Trivandrum for last 7 years and have got a permanent address here, and we were in no mood to travel till Irinjalakuda just for License and that I have to get the new format license by Sep 30th  we decided, we will go for change of address and then with that submit the application for duplicate license. So first we tried doing it online – but when I tried entering my  License number, it just did not allow me to enter … So next day Anil and me went to RTO , it was crowded, and the there were many in Q to enquire PRO – somehow Anil managed to get PRO’s attention and very briefly told the problem of we not able to enter the License number – he quickly replied – ‘your License data is not entered in the system, so you have to go to Irinjalakuda RTO and get the entry done then only we can do further changes !’  We stood there , Anil then told me the new format of License number (one he has in his license) 2345/2013 I checked my License #1234/77/97 so I said maybe we should try entering 1234/1997 but then what about 77 ?  So we asked PRO what is this 77 – he informed 77 is the old Registration number of Irinjalakuda and I should try the new Reg # 45 followed by 1234/1997 to apply online …  How I wished I had a laptop/ablet to check out then and there itself ..

We went back home tried  entering the License number the new way and were able to fill the application form and make the payment online, and next day I went with the filled in application , and self address envelope and things they had asked for – I reached the RTO at 11:15 am , it was still crowded , managed to get PRO’s attention he saw my file and said I need to get ‘Order’ from the Motor Vehicle Inspector and with that order I have to come back to him again … So I went looking for MVI , came to know he is not yet in , and I should either wait for some time or come after 2 pm, he would be available from 2-5 pm , I thought let me wait, my luck he came in around 11:45 . I went in , showed him the file – I decided to speak in English, he responded and gave his approval , and asked me where did I work ? I smiled and said – ‘ I don’t work, that’s why I get time to run around this work !’ and looking at his beautiful calligraphic signature I said ‘You have beautiful signature Sir!’ He could not help his laugh … and so my mission of getting work done at RTO got over successfully …


Now why this elaborate account – RTO anywhere in any state is supposed to be one of the most corrupt department , and we have had enough experiences before, but Anil has been very persistent last few years of not giving a single penny as bribe even if it means couple of extra visits … and I have supported his decision, so when we get something done in 2 visits I have some hope in RTO :) I/we have always tried avoiding ‘agents’ at RTO, Passport office, Registration office, Police Station  when many people advised me to take Agents help and in all these places my experience has been not So bad – and I always give my experiences when anybody asks for feedbacks … Have been in police station  3 times in Bangalore twice to lodge FIR (Mobile theft and complaint against Auto Driver, once for Police verification for passport) and all the time police personnel were very cooperative and not a single penny given, same way nothing at passport office both at Bangalore from where my passport was issued and Trivandrum, where I renewed it again … The point is to be persistent and to do your part correctly, things might take time but it will happen … 

No comments:

Post a Comment