Saturday, November 17, 2012

Wear your Attitude !


EC Office
 What we wear shows our attitude -- How many of us believe in this ? To be honest I do believe that what we wear is a conscious effort of what we are trying to project ourselves , but I also realise that “interpretation “ of our personality while wear one dress can be different by different people. Let me take an example .. I wear Saree at work almost everyday, and most often its starched cotton saree, followed by Poly cottons and once in a while chiffon/silk or Salwar Kameez, but most of the days I wear saree .. till recently (maybe 2 years back) I used to think that by wearing saree , I give an impression of those old time, old fashioned school teachers who are reserved , somewhat strict , well , in short I used to think people in general consider ladies in ordinary cotton saree (and me) ‘Bhenji’ types :D (am not talking about women in designer sarees with designer blouse and cuts) . But I was surprised when I realised that ‘bhenji’ is not the only impression people get …
 Cotton Saree also brings the image of Dignity, gave impression of person with value and principle, make the person look interesting .. as one of my friend comments sometime , “Aaj toh Indira Gandhi style mein ho “ :) The other day I was complaining that cotton sarees have become so expensive, especially khadi, handloom sarees, which used to be quite reasonable and affordable sometime back, now cotton saree from Orissa I don’t get to see anything less that 1500/- .. and then Ramu my bro commented, “thanks to Sonia Gandhi’s Saree collection – those saree from Orissa have now become style statements . “ … and I realised what he said more or less correct …. Because when I asked the shope keeper why simple pure cotton sarees are so expensive, he said that the weaver designs and weaves saree for Sonia gandhi ! ..



what u wear does it matter ?
 Anyway coming back to the topic of Impressions we make with what we wear … I love wearing Saree, Set Mundu, Chatta Mundu . Mekhala Chader. But when I am home most of the time I wearing shorts/tracks and Tee shirts or wraparounds and skirts , when I go to local market I wear Jeans/Tracks with Khadi Kurta or Tee Shirts, weekends when not in church its Jeans/Capri/tracks .. I remember one of my colleague was almost shocked to see me in a Capri and Ts with a cap during weekend shopping -- he just said that he cant believe that its me, till that day he had never seen me in any other outfit other than Saree ! And I realised some of his perceptions about me changed that day , he realised that I am not just a Saree clad reserved lady , I have different faces and different dresses to wear in life :D

What about men ... women have so many options of dresses , compared to women men have very limited option – unlike most of the companies in our work space we have 5 days formal wear which include wearing Tie all the 5 days for men :) so I rarely see them in jeans or Mundu , but to be honest when I see them in casuals I feel so good for them , Suddently you see they are breathing normal :) you see them so free and relaxed, I feel I get to know them better when they are not in their formal dress :D As I was telling the other day to one of my friend whom I call ‘Kelevan’ (old man) that he looks so much more homely “karnawar” (head of the family) type in his White Dhoti and shirt , and the same Karnawar looks much younger, much more relaxed , more enjoyable company when he is in his Bermuda shorts and T shirts with some funny irrelevant caption, playing his keyboard or his Didgeridoo .. So in short yes we do show some part of our attitude with what we wear, but don’t make the mistake of labelling someone for what you have seen them wearing … you have just seen one side of the picture :) Wear what you want to wear – good or bad people will always have comments , but if it makes you happy and comfortable (and does not put your dear ones in embarrassing situation) Wear your attitude :D !!



No comments:

Post a Comment