Monday, November 12, 2012

The Complete Man - My Handy Manny

Happy Diwali :)
Wishing you all a Happy Diwali !

How many of us get frustrated when some of our work gets stuck just because we don’t have the right tools and more when we don’t have the right skilled people to solve the problem … The other day Mathai my friend and colleague mentioned that he had a blocked sink in kitchen, he got so frustrated that he kicked the pipe below and it broke off leaking the waste water in the kitchen and now he was struggling to get someone fix it! We (me and 3 others in my Brother Gang) all laughed at Mathaicha – Imagining him kicking the sink and pipe (well Mathai is pretty big guy ) .. but the fact is its difficult to get a plumber, electrician, mason, carpenter etc specially in Kerala ….

I remember when I was young, my dad was my Hero – the Tool man he had all the tools of carpenter, electrician, cobbler, plumber .. anything which went wrong at home it was dad how fixed it, he had different sets of screwdrivers, testers, spanners, cobbler needle to sew leather, jute bags (while packing and shifting things)My Super Man had solutions to all problems. A time when we did not get Christmas star to buy he would make beautiful big star out of Bamboo and white paper; he was the best gardener I had seen, deciding which seasonal vegetables & flowers to put, which color where, cutting rose stems and doing the budding, the best I could think off, getting my chart paper projects framed … :)

Fast forward 10 years by the time I was in class 10, dad was in Srinagar and me in Kerala, so I had to do many things on my own … like repair iron box , changing bulb, tubes and fuse, cutting “vazha kola” (kele ka gochaa, don’t know the English equivalent of that :)) by the time in college cutting the hedges in proper shape with the garden scissor (I was pretty good at it , almost a professional, my hands as hard and rough as that of labourers :)), running around during different entrance exams, in banks for DD and then Post office for speed posts, did miss dad during those days ….

Fast forward 4-5 yrs, I started working took a house for rent, friends started coming and I got a good friend who was another Tool Man, All in All, From scooter / car mechanic, plumber, electrician, gardener, mason, to Financial advisor, IT consultant, travel advisor, computer service provider, emergency medicine consultant, for any hot short fixes; a friend who believed in 'Do it yourself Kit', 'No Agent Please' and 'No Bribe' policy :) My friend was surprised when once I told that Taparia tools are good and complete, he asked me how did I know about Taparia ,as they are well known tool brand for their quality (and guess he didn’t expect a girl to talk about it), I said that’s the only tool I have seen my Dad using it … we both smiled :)

Few years later I married the Tool Man, All in All – Except for climbing coconut tree for plucking coconuts (sure he can work out some tool for that too :)), I think my man does all that work where we would need a skilled person to do :) He is the complete 'Tool Man' rather he is the complete man :) And now I see Esther, his assistant running behind him with his tools kit … and I see so much of me in Esther now :) .. Thanks to Papa Ji :D ..

Wishing all my friends a very Happy Diwali - Do remember to think of all good things you have in your life, nobody is perfect accept that and celebrate the goodness and good things in life and thank God for all the good things and small mercies :) Again Wishing you all a very happy Diwali !

No comments:

Post a Comment