Sunday, November 11, 2012

10 Rs - What can you get ?

What can you get in 10 Rs these days ?  Sunday , after service waiting for Sunday school to get over … we sit out chatting with our friends, Ezekiel with me running around .. he comes looking for something to eat … I take out his small snacks dabba , I have kept one Idli .. he opens the dabba by himself and oops the idli jumps out … he cant have the Idli …  I look at the time its around 10:45 , Sunday school will break for snacks around 11:15, Ezekiel is getting restless also, I decide to buy something for Ezekiel ..

Esther with her sunday school friends


I ask Anil for 10 Rs (I usually don’t carry my wallet when I am in church) … Anil asks me where will I go …. I tell him “Apna Adda – Vanrose Junction Chai Kada”  … you will walk that far in this “Dhoop” he asks … I reply an way I am putting on weight let me walk a little ,. the nearest option is Spencer across the road , but .... before I could finish the sentence Anil comments “Spencer mein 10/- ka kuch khaaney ko kya mileyga  :) “ I also smile and repeat “10/- mein kya mileyga spencer mein . .. and I tell myself , I will go Vanross Junction, there we still get Tea and snacks (Kaddi) for 5/- i.e Tea for 5/- and any snacks 1 number 5/-  … its 5 mins walk , next junction down the road … I take along Ezekiel with me, he likes to go for walks … he is happy looks around, gives ta-ta to security uncle … tries to pick something from road , and I lift him up … we reach Vanross Junction Chai Kadda … I look around , No Snacks !! otherwise ever Sunday the place bustles with people having Hot tea and snacks … I ask “Kazhikyan Kaddi unnum illey” (No snacks for eating ?) the shopkeeper replies --- Only Tea, juice and Sharja … I am disappointed … start walking back … and see another small snacks shop where one guy is frying chips …. I cross the shop and then on second thoughts ask him after seeing some snacks are not packed and is kept loose … “Do you have anything for 10 /-  ? “ .. He replies “No” am little surprised as I thought I can get some chips for 10/- .. anyway I don’t waste my time at the shop and walk back to church thinking I will go to coffee house where Vada is around 7/- .. but when I reach near the church back gate I see small kids (nursery class) running with “Pazham Puri” (Ripe Banana Pakoda sort of thing- Banana Fritters popular among kids) I decide to go back to church and get one for Ezekiel …    Eze eats some portions of it happily …..  Realised today that I don’t have much options available with 10 /- in hand ..  

No comments:

Post a Comment