Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Whats there in Name ..

Sadhya @ Aranmula Temple
"Mummy I had Payasam today at school" Esther said this when i reached home from office few days back. I smiled at her and asked - what was the occasion in school and did everybody get Payasam on the first day of the exam ? She then clarified - "No only children in 4B class got it - I am sitting in 4B for the exams and one 'chetan' got payasam from sabrimala" . Oh from Sabrimala - I thought to myself - thats the 'prasadam' - which i also love - rice and jaggery ... i smiled at her and said "even mummy likes it" :)
She then said that teacher announced in class that only those who want to have, need to take the payasam, and when Esther went to have the payasam, one of her classmate - a christain, asked her how can she have the 'prasadam' as she is a Christain ?! I was listening to her .. Esther continued, she told the boy " so what if I am Christain - i can still have the Payasam" :) She looked at me to see my reaction ,to check if i approved her approach - I smiled at her and said  " Good , what you said was correct" :)  ..... time flies i thought to myself ... my childhood days , i never thought anything before having  'Prasad' never thought from where , was it temple, gurudwara or church ... was never bothered about religion or faith , and now my 8 yr old knew about Sabrimala, christains ..... Infact early this year I was little disturbed when Esther asked another question ... narrating the story below ...

Another evening walk with my kids, we take the road which Esther takes for her school. It’s a residential area with big palatial houses, suddenly Esther pointing at a big house asks – Mummyji , do you know if this is a Hindu’s house or Christian’s house ? … Am little puzzled as to why she is asking this I see the house name “Sreehari” and I say “No I don’t know” and ask her does she know – She re...plies with confidence “Hindu’s” , I ask her how did she find out – she responds – Today morning I saw an aunty with Big Red “Pottu” (Bindi) and I knew Hindu’s live here – I am little disturbed .. I ask her “What is mom – Hindu or Christain?” (For I wear big Red Bindi almost everyday ) She said – mom you are christain – and I said but I too wear Red big Bindi ! Her reply - your color – that’s Christain’s color – Am even more disturbed … my 7 yr old is looking into skin color,religion and all … Then she says Saira in her class is muslim – she confirmed after asking her .. And then taking it easy and realizing her innocence I ask her - why do you want to know about your friends being Hindu/muslim/christain – she asks back, is there a problem asking – I tell her “mummy wont like anybody asking this question to mummy” … and your friends are your friends it is not required to know whether they are hindu/muslim /christain …. Esther listens and repeats but whats the problem in asking … what do I tell .. I just said -  its not necessary to know … and change the topic – “what did you play in school today ?”

It will take time for her to understand

mazhab nahin sikhata apas men bayr rakhna
hindvi hai ham, vatan hai hindostan hamara ...

No comments:

Post a Comment