Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Arise ...

'ARise' -  attended this session on women leadership couple of days back. Btw I am not big fan of Women Liberation movement, and i dont think women can arise by attending few sessions of Leadership where not a single Man is present. Let me confess, that attending this session happened by mistake. I wanted to attend session on IRise which is technical session and when the email flash came for ARise I mistook it for IRise and registered for it. When i realised that it was 'A' and not 'I' just thought if not 'I' lets hope someone will 'A'rise after the session :) ... Anyway I am not going to discuss what women discussed or thought about Women Leadership, for i believe lots need to be done by the Women themselves, first, to be liberated in their own lives and then lead others --  this is strictly my opinion and applicable to me :)

Recently i saw a Tamil movie 'Vazhakan Enn 18/9' its a story on Acid attack victim , a teenage girl - the movie was recommended by one of my colleague, and even though i dont understand Tamil , i saw that movie -- and yes the movie haunted me for sometime .. did make me think about my daughter and how should i prepare my daughter to face the ugly side of the world ... the story was still fresh in my mind , when i got to hear about another story from my neighbour , again about a teenage girl granddaughter of a lady i know, who is being harassed by guy who happens to be family friend also(almost double her age) Apparently the guy is circulating video clips of the girl via mms, when i heard this i told that the girls parents should register a complaint at the nearest police station, to which i got the reply that they are trying to convince 'the guy' (who is circulating the mms) to marry the girl ! and the usual dialouges that girl is spoilt, she should have been careful, who will marry her , family got disgraced ----, The girl, now is living with her uncle since her father asked her not to come back home  ...i decided to keep quite .... ... in the back of my mind thinking just one more girl and thousands of similar stories ... stories of compromises ..

Ask any guy, 'who controls the decisions at home' the usual answer 'Wife' or 'Mom'well most of the time i feel that they are being sarcastic, but have to agree, many times its a 'Lady' behind Man's decision :) As one of my friend says almost every other day ,"who says women needs empowerment? They are already empowered and influnce every decison taken by man!" :D Look around and i guess what he said is right ... but then why is it that not many women 'ARise' at work (unless ofcourse they are not somebody's somebody or have got some strong contacts/connect, few who are talented, usually have difficult and long route to success), why is that only 7% of the women workforce negotiate on their salary before joining(compared to 57% Men) and most often women who negotiate for competitive salary gets the tag 'Aggressive/Arrogant' .... .

Home/Office ? Which one first ?

 Why is that  81 % of the women workforce is only at the Entry/Junior Level and only 16 % in the mid level and 3% at the top level ? When this question was asked during the session - I sitting at the last row last seat said it loud "81% is by choice, 16% so called limited opportunities,so called not enough exposure,give all possible reason , and 3% they are really lucky and have right stars in right place" most of the women smiled .... Later that evening i thought about the %age game and wondered where do i fit 81%,16% forget 3% !! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment