Sunday, February 3, 2013

Saving Butterfly - What an effort ....

Simmi – Can you come here, I want you to see this – Anil said this couple of days back .. I was sitting with Ezekiel and got up to see Anil’s laptop screen, facebook page, some event’s snap –I saw one and exclaimed ‘Oh Rebecca*!’ – Anil was surprised and asked – ‘you recognised her so fast’ – I asked if it was old snap, she looks different ... Anil then updated me that it was the latest Trivandrum Fashion show snaps – To be more specific ‘Trivandrum fashion calendar 2013 launch’ photo. I smiled, and said it is good to see Rebecca, I was awed by the fact that Rebecca - maybe after a gap of 10-12 years, 2 kids, and a full time job took the effort to get back to shape and get back to ramp , and i sincerely feel good for her ...


The next day Anil came upon some news report of the Calendar Launch Event, and both of us saw the news – The news was that Calendar Launch was for awareness of 'Saving Butterflies!!' Well I have not seen the Calendar yet , and i don’t know how many butterflies were actually shot (I mean Photographed) for the Calendar ... but what ever photos or reports i had seen I didn’t see any real Butterfly photo .... Then I had few questions in my mind – Who are going to actually get/buy ‘Save Butterfly theme’ Calendar ? Who are the target audience ? Does the Calendar give any facts/figures on the Butterfly species/numbers ? The person who thought of this idea - what prompted him to make Butterfly as theme? Can this calendar be put in schools where children who are most attracted and curious to see butterflies can get to understand that if we don’t take care of our environment these beautiful creation of nature will be extinct ? Does this calendar give the picture of most common butterflies found in Trivandrum or some of the rare varieties of the species ? Oh there were many more questions I had in my mind and wanted to check with Rebecca if I could answers for the same .. but i decided to keep those questions to myself ...

To be honest, am no fashion buff/critic and have no idea how a good fashion show looks like, But i didn’t see any connect in the Theme – Butterfly, the dresses the 12 Models were wearing, and the ramp set up – Double Decker KSRTC bus !!– Infact some of the models I thought looked atrocious with their expression and cat walk - there was nothing ‘Butterflyish’ about them – except for the colourful dress which again I felt didn’t suit many of them. My view point is if you are planning to take a cause as a theme, then you have to believe and be convinced of the cause first , otherwise the whole event looks a gimmick .. and thats what i felt after seeing the report ... Had it been just another fashion show , i would not have cared - i felt the models and the whole setup was amateurish (Trivandrum has to learn and grow a lot in may areas :)) Well as i mentioned am not fashion expert or a critic , and as many would say finding fault is much easier than getting something done - my only concern -  'Saving Butterfly' .... hmmm on a lighter note I am sure Kingfisher’s Bikini Calendar must also be based on some theme to ‘Save’ something !! :D

Incase you are interested to see the Butterfly Saving effort  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment