Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Lamp ....


Weekend we had been out of Trivandrum. .Sunday after a long spell of rain, it was a clear bright day, perfect for a peaceful drive and we thought of going to Perumala church (Place close to Mannar known for its Bronze Metal work ) . I always wanted to check out the shops at Mannar for ‘Lakshmi Vilakku, Hanging Brass lamps , but since it was a Sunday , not many shops were open and I kept the idea to myself , but kept my eyes open while crossing the shops , did see something interesting – A hanging lamp with an umbrella kind of covering on top of it, all in brass it looked very unique and antique, but I did not stop there , … … We reached church and spent some time there , Esther and Ezekiel went around the church and after spending one and half hour there we started back for home at Chenganoor .

On our way back I tried to look for the same unique lamp but somehow missed the shop,
and I thought – next time , the road was empty and since we were in no hurry , drove at ease seeing the views, we saw one known face on road and recognised the Elderly Man from Bhilai, we slowed down but he was too busy with some discussion with people there that he did not observe us, we decided to move on , had a stretch of good drive and then suddenly something caught my eyes – it was a Engraved symbol on a compound wall clear with a color scheme which I knew – I was surprise to see that and exclaimed to Anil ‘ That’s GREF logo!, but how come its here?’ Anil was still driving , he asked ‘Do you want to check again ?’ I said, ‘If you don’t mind taking a U Turn :) ‘ Anil knew how I felt seeing something like that , for even he after leaving Bhilai township almost 20 yrs back when he sees any CG7/MP 24  registration vehicle he will chase them stop them and ask if they are from Bhilai ! :)

He stopped in front of the gate and yes it was GREF – BRO logo engraved on wall , it was also there on the front wall of the house , I opened the gate and went inside.(The feel was just like getting into a BRO campus which would have a big gate and compound wall with the Logo ) , 2 little girls came out , I saw the name plate S K Pillai – GREF and then a lady came out – I asked the Lady who is in Border Roads ? She was little surprised and then smiled – her husband works for BRO. I said I saw the Logo and I had to ask , and that my Dad a Civil Engineer was in BRO for 37 yrs and got retired 8-9 yrs back I grew up in BRO campuses . I asked her where her husband was – She said Bhutan, and before that in Jammu – and that he is a Driver ! I said very tough job your husband has, and that my Dad has served in both the locations … She smiled and said that in past also 1-2 Ex officers from BRO have stopped and asked about the engraved logo and her husband :) She then said , ‘ My husband once went to visit someone and in that house he saw the GREF Logo in the Puja room , he was then inspired to engrave the same logo at the wall when ever he would make a house . For him what ever he is and he has he owes it to GREF, and he has no shame in proclaiming it , that’s why inspite of his relatives discouraging him from putting the logo on the compound wall and house wall he went ahead and did what he wanted to’ . I wished her luck and told her to tell her husband whenever he comes next for vacation that one lady had come asking about GREF :)

Anil saw me coming out and asked ‘So?’ I said yes it is GREF :) Anil then commented ‘You don’t get to see such loyalty these days , gone are our Dad’s days when people used to stick to one company or organization for 30 40 yrs, and they would do anything for the organization’ … .. I thought GREF in Puja room and GREF on wall instead of family name or house name … does show how much the guy is committed and proud of his Organization …. .. So true , and I thought  GREF The Lamp of  Pillai  family .....

No comments:

Post a Comment