Monday, October 7, 2013

Bharat ka Swarnim gaurav Kendriya Vidyalaya ..

Went to Kannkakunnu Palace on a weekday,last week after 5 pm with my kids for spending the evening. Anil had a Book Release to attend in the same vicinity. Dropping me and kids near the palace hall, he said ‘ There is an exhibition on 50 Years of Kendriya Vidyalaya Sanghatan, think its till 5 pm only, but take a chance and check out ‘ And I thought, 50 years,that’s all ! It should have been much much older by now ,and then thought of checking it out, It happened that day was the inaugural day and Shashi Tharoor was speaking on how high regards he has for the KVS and how he gets so many letters asking for recommendation for admission in KV from people of his constituency – and that even if all the 4 KV s in Trivandrum were 10 times bigger, he would have been able to get admission for the children sorting his recommendation ! He added, that shows how good the education system is in KV ! 

Somehow I have been very disappointed with the schools in Trivandrum – atleast few schools which we had short listed seeking admission for Esther. Some how that ‘Wholesomeness’ factor was/is missing in the schools ….  When I think about my KV schools the first thing which comes to mind is the ‘uniformity’ across all KV schools. Starting from – Uniforms, books, prayers, co curricular activities, environment in classrooms, you go to any KV its almost the same, no matter if the school is in Arunachal Pradesh , or Delhi or Jammu or Port Blair. You have good mix of ‘Indians’ in each class / school, good mix of children from different parts of country and all stratum of society, different spread of lunch boxes, similar time pass games … The best thing about the KV school is unlike other schools where the environment of the school is depends on the ‘Management ‘ which runs the school (Catholic/Christain/Hindu/Muslim etc) Any KV school has that ‘Indianness’ environment … am sure one of the mission of KVS is to develop the sense of being  ‘Indian’ something which is missing in most of the schools ….

And I completely agree with Tharoor , we also tried getting admission for Esther 4 years back (without any recommendation though) when we knew what will be the outcome, but still we wanted to give it a try – try luck factor … I am proud product of KV, and I firmly believe that schooling in KV has been one the best thing in and for my life , and how I wish my children could get that best thing – good  education, without any frills and fancies without any biases of region, religion, language, caste   …


2 comments:

  1. Nice post, Simi. After being out of the KV system for so many years, I was a bit skeptic about admitting my son in KV. After much thought, I finally went for KV. KV is probably the one school that promotes the spirit of being an Indian first.
    I don't know if you remember me still. My dad was a teacher there and my brother your classmate and if I am remember correctly, we belonged to the same house in KV Thrissur :-) - Noby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey noby George !! So nice to hear from you :) Glad that you took the right decision of KV . Hope to see you all soon .

      Delete