Thursday, November 2, 2017

School assignments for parents !


2 weeks back my son got his first chart paper assignment work for EVS – ‘Draw your home’. Teacher specifically asked him to do in a ‘Big’ chart paper. I told and convinced Ezekiel that he wont be able to draw that big House in a Big chart Paper , and that I will not do the drawing for him and  he has to do it himself since he likes both drawing and colouring (also I was trying to instill in him the habit of doing assignments on his own). He was happy about it. So after practicing his drawing couple of time he neatly drew and coloured the “My home during Diwali’ in 1/4th of the chart paper. How proud I was ! J

That day when he came back, he said that teacher asked him to draw in the big paper an he told teacher that ‘Mom told, I am small and wont be able to draw in the big chart paper’. Hearing that teacher took his assignment. Last week we had PTA meeting, all went well and then his class teacher who also happens to be his Malayalam teacher shared the Progress report, there also every thing was fine, and then teacher observed one ‘B’ grade in Science activity  - So she asked ‘What happened ? in all other things he has got A , what was the activity ?’ I very casually told what the activity was and – B is not that bad, and that probably teacher wanted the assignment in Bigger Chart paper. But end of the meeting I did get to think -  Ezekiel had practiced his drawing, decided on the colours he would put and had actually done the project very neatly, but just because it was not on a full-size chart paper his teacher felt it did not deserve A (which I don’t have any problem with actually)

Eze's initial submission
This week Malayalam and English teacher gave assignments. Since I already had discussion on EVS work and his Malayalam teacher who didn’t say anything about the size of the chart paper, Ezekiel again practiced drawing ‘Kaka & Kokka’ (Crow & Crain)  and felt Crain is difficult for him , I decided to help him and we did the project again on 1/4th chart paper and on Tuesday happily went to school. While picking him up from the school , I asked so what did teacher say about Malayalam chart ? He was in verge of tears and said ‘She wants it to be in Big chart paper, I told her that mom told that it will be difficult for me , but teacher said I should bring in big chart paper’. Hmmm so I thought I will meet the teacher before leaving the school 

Happen to find her in a class room and I asked her what exactly needs to be done ? She said that they want all the chart paper to be of same size as they are going to pin it up in class so everyone has to do in the big chart paper and Parents should do it !  I was actually too shocked to respond and realised no point discussing with teacher that there are 40 students in the class and they don’t have enough space to put all the charts and also it will be difficult to fill a big Chart paper with Crow and Crain :) I smiled and said OK . So just completed doing Malayalam and English assignments with Ezekiel's help and feeling accomplished !! 







No comments:

Post a Comment